University of Sydney and Centre for English Teaching (CET) in association with Australian Homestay Network (AHN)
The University of Sydney and Centre for English Teaching (CET) has contracted with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) to give Sydney-based University of Sydney alumni the opportunity to host newly-arrived international students for their introduction to accommodation and living in Australia.
AHN is considered to be the leading Australian Homestay Manager and has been chosen as the only organisation meeting the University’s comprehensive requirements to ensure the best welcoming experience possible.
For Australians to participate in a supervised and supported cultural exchange program with new arriving international students.
To provide residents the opportunity to assist with the welcoming and settling in of international students to Australia.
Participants will meet, host and assist new international students arriving for study and help the student(s) with orientation to their campus as well as provide general safety, accommodation and welfare information.
Australian Homestay Network
The Australian Homestay Network (AHN) is Australia’s leading manager of International Student Homestay Programs and provides full support and free online training to all AHN Hosts.
Opportunities exist now for friendly individuals and families to become an AHN Host and share in a unique cultural experience with visiting international students.
AHN supports all AHN Hosts with a range of service, including:
- Full training
- Professional 24/7 support
- Full Administration support (payments and receipting)
- Tax free host payments to cover all anticipated expenses
- Appropriate Insurance Cover for both students and hosts
- Assistance with student management and support
Create memorable experiences and friends that last a lifetime
Enjoy everyday activities with your visiting student including:
- showing your student around your community
- guiding them on the basics of Australian culture
- listening to them talk about where they are from
- teaching them some basics like establishing a phone, buying transport tickets, where the local shops are, how to access banking and personal safety tips
- helping with English and ‘Aussie’ words and phrases
- following the AHN guidelines provided regarding hosting an international student
How you can take part
- Do you have a spare room?
- Do you live near public transport?
- Would you be a good mentor for a new visitor in Australia?
- If you answered “YES” to any of the above questions then you may qualify to join the Australian Homestay Network and University of Sydney Alumni Homestay Program.
Hosting is Easy
AHN hosts provide a clean and furnished bedroom for their guest. This includes items like a bed, desk, wardrobe, chair and a study lamp.
The visiting student will need to have access to bathroom and laundry facilities and hosts can choose a range of AHN options in regard to meal inclusions.
AHN will conduct onsite interviews and additional training to ensure suitability for the hosting required.
General Expenses Are Covered
AHN Homestay provides a weekly allowance that covers all anticipated costs.
Hosts have the option of being available for:
- traditional full meals homestay
- dinner only homestay or
- no meals homestay
Further details are provided on application.
AHN manages all student placements, student fees, institution liaison, management support, insurances, and payment administration.