La Trobe Melbourne in association with Australian Homestay Network (AHN)
The best introduction to life in a new country is to arrange your arrival accommodation with a host from an accredited Homestay organisation. During this time you will learn about the Australian environment, culture and get help with the ‘Aussie’ English language. To make the most of your opportunity, it is important for you to be comfortable and ‘at home’ in your environment including your accommodation. For this reason homestay accommodation is recommended for at least the first 4 weeks of your stay. A trained Homestay Host can help get you settled into your new life in Australia including looking at your future accommodation options.
La Trobe Melbourne has contracted with the Australian Homestay Network (AHN) for both Homestay and ‘HomeShare’ welcoming and temporary accommodation for new international students. Initial placement is recommended for 4 weeks with the option to extend your stay after the initial period. AHN has been contracted to La Trobe Melbourne as they meet standards that have been set to ensure that you have the best possible experience in your homestay environment.
Homestay is a cultural exchange between a local individual or family (the host) and an international student, the student lives as a guest in the host family’s home.
This is a mandatory option for La Trobe Melbourne students who are under the age of 18 years of age whose CAAW form has been signed by the LTM Director and Principal.
Why is Homestay a great option?
AHN Homestay Hosts are trained to assist international students:
- settle into their new community
- understand the basics of Australian culture and personal safety
- gain everyday conversational skills
- learn the community basics such as buying transport tickets
- organise banking, internet, mobile phones, etc.
- learn frequently used English and ‘Aussie’ words and phrases
Above all, AHN hosts are trained to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable stay
Unlike other accommodation options students don’t need to sign any long-term contracts, pay a bond, find furniture or search for a property themselves. Students are matched by a trained AHN Supervisor with a suitable AHN Homestay Host, according to the needs of the student and education provider location.
An AHN Homestay student is provided with:
- a clean furnished room (this includes a bed, desk, wardrobe, chair and a study lamp)
- a supportive family environment and home to live in
- meals (as specified) and accommodation (including utilities)
- ongoing Homestay host and student support
- AHN 24/7 professional phone support
- AHN contents insurance for students and hosts as per AHN Insurance Policy
- bathroom and laundry facilities
- duty of care of both over and under18 year old students
AHN offers a range of service levels to cater for all type of guests, including ‘HomeShare’ which is ideal for more independent students. HomeShare is a no meals homestay option that is often much more affordable than a private room rental and is also a great welcoming introductory short term accommodation option. Apply for HomeShare here.
If you are a student and wish to apply for your homestay accommodation now, please click here.
For La Trobe Melbourne accredited education agents, looking to place a student in Homestay, please click here.
If you are a potential host interested in welcoming a La Trobe Melbourne student, please click here.
Australian Homestay Network 24/7 contact number is: +61 2 8905 0321